Sunday, January 4, 2009

HE ONCE WAS KNOWN AS "SANTA"

For years Ron played Santa for a charity organization I belong to, Golden WHEEL Organization, Women Helping Educate and Enrich Lives, who raise monies to give scholarships to the valley's west side high school seniors and help fund the West Valley Child Crisis Center for abused and neglected children. He has had children from newborn to 80 years young on his knee. I dare say, thousands. Oh the stories he has heard! Some would make you sob and some would make you laugh hysterically. What a fun time he had and what a delight it was to watch him! Also, for years, he and I would dress up as Mr. and Mrs. Claus and visit our Primary children,friends who had small children,neighbors, and sometimes just stop children on the streets, (during the week before Christmas) and give away candy canes and small gifts. It was such fun!

But, eventually, Santa wore out!!! HE WAS POOPED! He was soaking in a hot tub of water one night, rouge still on his cheeks, lips still painted hooker red, his natural belly protruding above the waterline, hot towels soaking his beard to begin the long process of beard removal, and he looked at me with sad eyes and said, "I'm afraid this is my last year." With wide eyes I replied, "You're kidding!?" "No, fraid not. Santa's retiring. We can pass the suit on to whoever might want it." And so you have it. He hasn't put it on since.

Those of you that know Ron well know what a stretch that must have been for him. But, he really did love every minute of it. He use to chatter about what the children (and adults) would say to him as they sat on his knee. Sometimes he would weep as he retold their stories. Such sweet memories we have of Santa and the part he plays in keeping alive the "TRUE" meaning of Christmas. When children sit upon Santa's knee and ask for sweet, unselfish, gifts for their Mothers, or their little brother or sister, or that the world would be a happy place, or that Daddy would get a job...THAT IS THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS -UNCONDITIONAL CHRISTLIKE LOVE. Oh, if we could all be as children wouldn't the world be a better place?

1 comment:

hendywow said...

I didn't know you liked the Dixie Chicks, I love 'em (despite the controversy) We need to start hanging out again!